Saturday, September 5, 2009

saying goodbye!

One month ago tomorrow I farewelled somebody very special in my life.............my Grandfather Ronald (Ron) Metcalfe.
During my visit back to Grafton for the funeral I had time to reflect both by myself in my own time and with my grandmother who gave a beautiful eulogy of her own at the funeral. The man I remember is one with great dignity, strength and courage. He was the one man in amongst a family of women, he was a husband, father to four daughters, grandfather to 12 grandaughters and 2 grandsons and a great grandfather to 3. He knew and was adored by all who met him. He had many challenges put in his path including his last 6months. Always a joker he loved to laugh and would always do anything for his family and friends.
I will never forget his hugs and our conversations. I will never forget him thanking me for giving him the honour of being a great grandfather....I have a little girl here who always asks about her "other" pop and she tells me he is looking after her balloon she sent up to him.
Miss you pop RIP.



2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you loved him very much. I take me hat off to you. I don't think I could share something so personal. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. He was a great part of my life. I think it helps me to share it. x

    ReplyDelete